Organic Black Diamond Watermelon Seeds- 8 Count-Bright Red Crisp Flesh
Organic Black Diamond Watermelon Seeds
King of the Garden Watermelon, Black Beauty Watermelon, Shadow Melon
Description: Black Diamond is a classic oblong watermelon with a black-green rind covering bright red, crisp, flavorful flesh. In the 1950s, Black Diamond was a very popular home garden variety. Fruits have gray-black seeds (Perfect for seed spitting contests, if that is your desire!) and can grow quite large, often topping 45 or more pounds.
Days to Maturity: 75-80 Days
Fruit: The flesh is bright red and mouthwatering sweet and the skin is decidedly dark green in color, very striking when plated.
Fruit Size: Up to 20-24 inches in length, 12-14 inches in diameter, normally 25+ pounds, but may grow as big as 40-50 pounds.
Fruit Color: Dark green skin with brightred flesh, very sweet.
USDA Zones: 2b – 11b (At elevation Zones 3b – 11b)
Soil: Loose, loamy, amended with compost, slightly sandy. The better the soil, the better the Watermelon. Mulching with dark/black material to cover the soil will serve multiple purposes: it will warm the soil, hinder weed growth and keep developing fruits clean.
Soil pH: 6.0 to 6.8
Sun: Full sun, no shade.
Sowing: If you live in warmer climes, you can direct sow seeds outdoors, but wait until the soil temperature warms to at least 70 degrees F to avoid poor germination and losses. Watermelon vines are exceptionally tender and should not be transplanted until all danger of frost has passed. To be safe, wait at least two weeks past your absolute last frost date. [Gardeners in colder climates can still have success in growing watermelon by starting seeds indoors.] Even a very light frost (31 to 33ºF) can kill watermelon vines. Use frost blankets or cold frames to protect vines and prolong the harvest season. To ensure fruits ripen before frost, remove any blossoms that start to develop within 50 days of your area’s average first frost date.
Fertilizing: Compost is the best for all watermelons, but, if you use commercial fertilizer, make sure it’s deliver more nitrogen than phosphorus and potassium. However, after flowering begins, use a fertilizer with less nitrogen. We prefer to use home-processed seaweed in our watermelon patch.
Wildlife: Watermelons love bees, bees are good, don’t hate bees!
Spacing: Space the watermelons 3 feet between rows, and 2.5 feet between plants. If growing in mound/hill style, sow seed around the perimeter of mound/hill.
Water: Water regularly, 2 or more times a day for proper growth; plan on 1 to 2 inches per plant/per week. If in drought conditions, make sure to monitor water application to support during times of stress.
Harvesting: When a melon is ripe, its belly will go from near white to creamy yellow. Check the tendril. If it’s green, wait. If it’s half-dead, the watermelon is nearly ripe or ripe. If the tendril is fully dead, it’s ripe or overripe; it’s not going to get any riper, now is the time to pick the fruits of your labor! Stems should be cut with a sharp knife close to the fruit.
Nutrients: Watermelon fruit is 93% water, contains 5-6% sugars, and is low in fat. In a 100-gram serving, watermelon fruit supplies 30 calories and low amounts of essential nutrients. Only vitamin C is present in appreciable content at 10% of the Daily Value. Watermelon pulp contains carotenoids, including lycopene. The amino acid citrulline is produced in watermelon rind. Watermelons are mostly water — about 92 percent — but this refreshing fruit is soaked with nutrients. Each serving has significant levels of vitamins A, B6 and C, and more lycopene than found in many tomato varieties, antioxidants and amino acids. There's even a modest amount of potassium.
Storage: Watermelon may be stored on the countertop, but will last longer – uncut, in the refrigerator. However, studies have shown that watermelons stored in the refrigerator will have a nutrient reduction versus ones stored on the countertop.
Additional Information: Vines produce male and female flowers separately on the same plant. They often begin producing male flowers several weeks before the females appear. Do not be concerned if the male flowers fall off. The female flowers (which have a swollen bulb at the base) will stay on the vine and bear fruit.
History: Watermelon is thought to have originated in the Kalahari Desert of Africa. The first recorded watermelon harvest occurred nearly 5,000 years ago in Egypt and is depicted in Egyptian hieroglyphics on walls of their ancient buildings. ... The 13th century found watermelon spread through the rest of Europe via the Moors.
Pest Resistance: Resistant to fusarium wilt and anthracnose.
All Other Countries
First Item: $6.99
Additional Items: $0.99
First Item: $3.99
Additional Items: $0.69
DownrightNatural Policies & Guidelines
The time I need to prepare an order for shipping varies. For details, see individual items.
Estimated shipping times
* Australia: 7-21 business days
* Canada: 3-10 business days
* North America: 3-5 business days
* Europe: 7-14 business days
* Australia, New Zealand, and Oceania: 7-14 business days
* Asia Pacific: 14-21 business days
* Latin America and the Caribbean: 7-14 business days
* North Africa and the Middle East: 14-28 business days
* Sub-Saharan Africa: 14-21 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates but cannot guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
* Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
I gladly accept returns, exchanges, and cancellations
* Contact me within: 3 days of delivery
* Ship items back within: 7 days of delivery
* Request a cancellation within: 24 hours of purchase
The following items can't be returned or exchanged
* Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can't accept returns for:
* Custom or personalized orders
* Perishable products (like food or flowers)
Conditions of return
* Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Questions about your order?
* Please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
* I will only use your shipping and billing address, and contact information
* To communicate with you about your order
* To fulfill your order
* For legal reasons (like paying taxes)
Custom and personalized orders
* Please contact us for customized or personalized items. They are not listed here on ArtFire, but we do offer this service, when applicable or available.
* All seeds currently listed on ArtFire are available in custom quantities.
* Please contact us for wholesale amounts not listed in our store. We carry wholesale lots of seed and other Organic Supplies.
* Do to crops, availability of seed or items, and other constraints, we will do what we can to fulfill any wholesale request.
* Wholesale quantities can be found on www.downrightnatural.com
Gift wrapping and packaging
* We do not currently offer gift wrapping services.
* Seeds: Since all seeds are different, even within the same species, their care, storage, planting, germination, care, maintenance, and harvesting are all different. I try to present all of the important information in my listings and included in the packaging if requested. (If you have any questions regarding a purchase, please contact me, and I will help where I am able.)
* Handcrafted & Wildcrafted items: Due to the unique qualities inherent in the various hand and wildcrafted items I offer, each one has differing care and storage concerns. Please contact me for detailed or specific information regarding your purchase for further instructions or assistance.
Scarification & Stratification of Seeds
* When applicable, all seeds are stored in temperature and humidity controlled environments. This either stratifies or partially stratifies the seeds in question. We do not, and will not, scarify seed prior to shipment. (This is done to reduce the chance of pathogens or microbes inhibiting or destroying the seed during transit.) If you have any questions regarding stratification and scarification of a particular seed, please contact me directly, and I will help you with what to do and how to do it for optimum results.
International Orders (Standardized English [Latin Characters] spelling for ease of delivery)
* If your order is for a destination outside the United States, please provide standardized English spellings for postal addresses. (Cyrillic, East Asian, or other local address languages cannot be processed in a reasonable time by the USPS.)
* I ask you to do this is to avoid delays, refusals, and returns for your items when the address provided is not able to be easily understood by the United States Postal Service; or the characters printed are not readable due to system or computer constraints, both in printing and by processing by the various postal entities.
* I will include your address in English (Standard Latin alphabet) as well as provided by you for easy of handling and delivery by all postal authorities handling the package.
* Please contact me with any questions regarding your postal address or options you desire.
International Payments for Orders
* If you live outside of the United States and are ordering from DownrightNatural and paying by any other method that requires you to mail payment to us. Please ensure the following is followed 100%, or your order may not be fulfilled and your payment returned:
* 1) All orders MUST include your ARTFIRE ORDER NUMBER
* 2) All order must Include your PROPER MAILING ADDRESS
* 3) All Payment MUST be made payable in US DOLLARS (US$)
* 4) Payment MUST be received within 14 days, or your order will be CANCELLED
* 5) International Personal Checks will NOT BE HONORED
* 6) International Business Checks will NOT BE HONORED
* 7) Payment in anything but UNITED STATES DOLLARS will NOT BE HONORED
(I am sorry if this seems blunt, but, the fees to process your payment in anythign but US Dollars is cost prohibitive
to providing you economical seeds and crafts.)
I asked a question three times about some seeds I purchased from them. still waiting for answer. Its been over two weeks. I won't buy from them any more.
Purchased monkey puzzle tree seeds. They arrived on time and in acceptable packaging, but the seeds are way too tiny. This type of tree produces large seeds, usually 1.5 to 2 inches in length. The seeds I received where not even 1/16 of an inch.
Emailed seller twice regarding my surprise and concern and have not received a response.
My recommendation: Find another seller.