Organic Montgomery Dandelion Seeds - 25 Count
Puff Ball, Ghost Ball, Cicoria Catalogna, Puntarella, Pessenlit, Blowball
Description: The Montgomery Dandelion is a beautiful deep yellow colored flower, with a solitary flower head, each with numerous yellow ray flowers, tops a hollow, leafless stalk that rises from the center of a rosette of toothed leaves. Stem juice is milky.
Life Cycle: Herbaceous perennial
Origin: North America
Name: The name dandelion is derived from the French "dent de lion", which means 'lion's tooth' in reference to the plant's jagged green leaves.
Flowers: Heads 3/4-1 1/2" (2-3.8 cm) wide, with outer bracts short, curled back, inner bracts longer, curling back when fruits mature; flowers all of ray type.
Leaves: Very thick (Comparable to lettuce) 2-16" (5-40 cm) long, lanceolate, broadest near tip, with jagged, backward-pointing lobes or teeth.
Fruit: Seed-like, gray or olive brown, the body about 3/16" (4.5 mm) long, rough in upper portion, and tipped by a stalk 2-4 time the length of body, bearing white, feathery bristles at the end.
Height: 2-20" (5-50 cm).
Nutritional Values: Ounce for ounce, they have more calcium than milk and as much iron as spinach. They are also a strong source of beta-carotene, vitamins B, C, and E, fiber, magnesium, potassium, and iron. Dandelion greens have been used to enhance liver function and may prevent or cure gallstones. They have also been used to remove toxic wastes from the blood and to clear up chronic skin complaints and are also considered an effective laxative. The European dandelion became common in North America with the arrival of white settlers, but the Indians also began using it as a food and for its medicinal qualities.
Propagation & Cultivation: Easy to grow from seed. No treatment needed, but stratification of one week will raise the germination rate to 98% percent, average 90-92%. Dandelion is very easy to grow and cultivate, starting with any soil, or potting soil, plant the seeds in a very lightly sowed row, water and cover with less than 1/8 inch or soil. Lightly water again. Germination will begin in 4 – 10 days, flowering in 14 days, and seed production in 1 week following flowering. Cultivation is dependent upon the part of the plant you wish to use, flowers when flowering, stems when seeding, and root at any period after September 15th. Can withstand cold to -30`F (-34`C).
Sun: Full sun to partial shade
Water: Low to moderate. Will respond to increased water and lack of competition from other plants.
Soil: Any soil. Responds to fertilizer wonderfully. Uses: Parts used: Whole plant fresh or dried. Leaves and roots also used separately. Dandelion wine is made from the fresh blossoms, with the green calyx removed. The medicinal herb market focus is on the leaf and root of the plant, and there does not appear to be any medical literature about the flowers or wine.
Interesting Facts: Roots can be taken up and planted in dark cellars to produce a blanched form similar to the French cultivation of chicory. Through selection and branching, the cultivated forms are not as bitter as the wild ones. The roots can be cooked and added to soups and salads. They were one of the many things tried as substitutes for coffee in the 19th century. Another name, pessenlit, a French word referring to its diuretic properties, also found an English equivalent, pissabed. Dandelion is probably the best single herb you can use for spring cleansing and detoxification through its laxative and diuretic actions. It is one of the best natural diuretics. Some drugs cause kidney stimulation which causes a loss of potassium, which can cause an aggravation with any cardio vascular problem that you may have at the time. Because dandelion has up to a 5 percent amount of potassium, this loss is counteracted.
Warning: May cause excessive urination in children that handle crushed heads and stalks. Dandelion is considered a weed by some, and can readily be spread by its airborne seeds. Controlled planting and care should be used when cultivating this plant.
All Other Countries
First Item: $6.99
Additional Items: $0.99
First Item: $3.99
Additional Items: $0.69
DownrightNatural Policies & Guidelines
The time I need to prepare an order for shipping varies. For details, see individual items.
Estimated shipping times
* Australia: 7-21 business days
* Canada: 3-10 business days
* North America: 3-5 business days
* Europe: 7-14 business days
* Australia, New Zealand, and Oceania: 7-14 business days
* Asia Pacific: 14-21 business days
* Latin America and the Caribbean: 7-14 business days
* North Africa and the Middle East: 14-28 business days
* Sub-Saharan Africa: 14-21 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates but cannot guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
* Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
I gladly accept returns, exchanges, and cancellations
* Contact me within: 3 days of delivery
* Ship items back within: 7 days of delivery
* Request a cancellation within: 24 hours of purchase
The following items can't be returned or exchanged
* Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can't accept returns for:
* Custom or personalized orders
* Perishable products (like food or flowers)
Conditions of return
* Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Questions about your order?
* Please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
* I will only use your shipping and billing address, and contact information
* To communicate with you about your order
* To fulfill your order
* For legal reasons (like paying taxes)
Custom and personalized orders
* Please contact us for customized or personalized items. They are not listed here on ArtFire, but we do offer this service, when applicable or available.
* All seeds currently listed on ArtFire are available in custom quantities.
* Please contact us for wholesale amounts not listed in our store. We carry wholesale lots of seed and other Organic Supplies.
* Do to crops, availability of seed or items, and other constraints, we will do what we can to fulfill any wholesale request.
* Wholesale quantities can be found on www.downrightnatural.com
Gift wrapping and packaging
* We do not currently offer gift wrapping services.
* Seeds: Since all seeds are different, even within the same species, their care, storage, planting, germination, care, maintenance, and harvesting are all different. I try to present all of the important information in my listings and included in the packaging if requested. (If you have any questions regarding a purchase, please contact me, and I will help where I am able.)
* Handcrafted & Wildcrafted items: Due to the unique qualities inherent in the various hand and wildcrafted items I offer, each one has differing care and storage concerns. Please contact me for detailed or specific information regarding your purchase for further instructions or assistance.
Scarification & Stratification of Seeds
* When applicable, all seeds are stored in temperature and humidity controlled environments. This either stratifies or partially stratifies the seeds in question. We do not, and will not, scarify seed prior to shipment. (This is done to reduce the chance of pathogens or microbes inhibiting or destroying the seed during transit.) If you have any questions regarding stratification and scarification of a particular seed, please contact me directly, and I will help you with what to do and how to do it for optimum results.
International Orders (Standardized English [Latin Characters] spelling for ease of delivery)
* If your order is for a destination outside the United States, please provide standardized English spellings for postal addresses. (Cyrillic, East Asian, or other local address languages cannot be processed in a reasonable time by the USPS.)
* I ask you to do this is to avoid delays, refusals, and returns for your items when the address provided is not able to be easily understood by the United States Postal Service; or the characters printed are not readable due to system or computer constraints, both in printing and by processing by the various postal entities.
* I will include your address in English (Standard Latin alphabet) as well as provided by you for easy of handling and delivery by all postal authorities handling the package.
* Please contact me with any questions regarding your postal address or options you desire.
International Payments for Orders
* If you live outside of the United States and are ordering from DownrightNatural and paying by any other method that requires you to mail payment to us. Please ensure the following is followed 100%, or your order may not be fulfilled and your payment returned:
* 1) All orders MUST include your ARTFIRE ORDER NUMBER
* 2) All order must Include your PROPER MAILING ADDRESS
* 3) All Payment MUST be made payable in US DOLLARS (US$)
* 4) Payment MUST be received within 14 days, or your order will be CANCELLED
* 5) International Personal Checks will NOT BE HONORED
* 6) International Business Checks will NOT BE HONORED
* 7) Payment in anything but UNITED STATES DOLLARS will NOT BE HONORED
(I am sorry if this seems blunt, but, the fees to process your payment in anythign but US Dollars is cost prohibitive
to providing you economical seeds and crafts.)
I asked a question three times about some seeds I purchased from them. still waiting for answer. Its been over two weeks. I won't buy from them any more.
Purchased monkey puzzle tree seeds. They arrived on time and in acceptable packaging, but the seeds are way too tiny. This type of tree produces large seeds, usually 1.5 to 2 inches in length. The seeds I received where not even 1/16 of an inch.
Emailed seller twice regarding my surprise and concern and have not received a response.
My recommendation: Find another seller.