20 Organic Boston Ivy Veitchi Seeds
Boston Ivy - 'Veitchi' - 20 Seeds
Vitaceae Parthenocissus tricuspidata
Ivy, Wall Ivy, Bostonian Ivy, Old Ivy, Veitchi
Description: Large leaves and a vigorous habit. Gorgeous, glossy, deeply lobed, dark green leaves turning spectacular shades of red-purple in autumn. This beautiful Boston ivy is perfect for covering a large north or east-facing wall. A particularly vigorous variety needing pruning to keep in bounds, established plants are an important wildlife habitat for insects and small birds. A strong-growing, self-clinging vine adhering itself to supports by means of adhesive pads at the ends of leaf tendrils. Tall-growing, it reaches a height of 10-20m (1-2m of annual growth). Healthy and undemanding species, unlikely to freeze during sever winters. The leaves turn dark green, the variegation being more dramatic in a sunny position. Excellent on buildings, but is also suitable for growing over arbors, pergolas and various supports.
USDA Zone: 3a – 9b
Growth Habit: Climbing or carpeting vine
Form: A climbing vine that may reach up to 50 feet tall
Growth Rate: Rapid
Flowers: Very small and neutrally colored.
Leaf: Large, alternate, simple or compound, coarsely serrated, 4 to 8 inches wide, 3-lobed (or trifoliate), shiny dark green above, much paler below.
Flower: Small, green and borne in clusters on long stems, appearing in late May to mid August.
Bark: Smooth, gray-brown, corky raised lenticels.
Twig: Slender, light reddish-brown, numerous lenticels, tendrils with adhesive pads are apparent opposite the bud scars, leaf scars are round and concave.
Sun: Full Sun to Partial Shade
Soil: 6.1 – 7.6 pH. Will grow in almost any soil type, sand, loam, clay, and barren soils. Tolerates marine (Salt) environments well.
Fruit: A blue-black berry, 1/4 to 1/3 inch across, 1 to 2 seeds.
Container Growable: Yes
Propagation: Start seed in potting soil or soil amended with compost. Keep moist and warm to expedite germination. When ivy is 3 – 6 inches, it can be transplanted to its permanent location.
Water: Keep watered and support if drought conditions are present during first month of growing, after the plant is established, it is very drought tolerant and is readily used in Xeriscaping landscapes.
Discussion: A wonderful vine with elegant, dark green glossy foliage that turns a radiant red in fall. Blue berries are visible in fall following leaf drop and provide food for birds. Unlike Virginia creeper, Boston ivy's holdfasts are tenacious allowing it to turn the mundane side of a masonry building into a stately wall of foliage. If allowed will grow to impressive size. The means by which vines climb can be divided into two broad categories: those that twine around a supporting structure, and those that hold onto structures by use of either holdfasts or aerial roots. Twining: Twining vines wrap around a support using tendrils, petioles or the stem of the vine. These vines require a support structure that facilitates twining such as a fence, arbor or trellis. When these vines become overgrown they can be renewed by cutting the entire plant back severely in early spring. Holdfasts: This group of vines attach using holdfasts or aerial roots, structures that fasten the vine stem by sticking directly to a structure. These vines can affix to almost any surface, but are best used on masonry.
First Item: $3.99
Additional Items: $0.69
All Other Countries
First Item: $6.99
Additional Items: $0.99
DownrightNatural Policies & Guidelines
The time I need to prepare an order for shipping varies. For details, see individual items.
Estimated shipping times
* Australia: 7-21 business days
* Canada: 3-10 business days
* North America: 3-5 business days
* Europe: 7-14 business days
* Australia, New Zealand, and Oceania: 7-14 business days
* Asia Pacific: 14-21 business days
* Latin America and the Caribbean: 7-14 business days
* North Africa and the Middle East: 14-28 business days
* Sub-Saharan Africa: 14-21 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates but cannot guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
* Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
I gladly accept returns, exchanges, and cancellations
* Contact me within: 3 days of delivery
* Ship items back within: 7 days of delivery
* Request a cancellation within: 24 hours of purchase
The following items can't be returned or exchanged
* Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can't accept returns for:
* Custom or personalized orders
* Perishable products (like food or flowers)
Conditions of return
* Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Questions about your order?
* Please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
* I will only use your shipping and billing address, and contact information
* To communicate with you about your order
* To fulfill your order
* For legal reasons (like paying taxes)
Custom and personalized orders
* Please contact us for customized or personalized items. They are not listed here on ArtFire, but we do offer this service, when applicable or available.
* All seeds currently listed on ArtFire are available in custom quantities.
* Please contact us for wholesale amounts not listed in our store. We carry wholesale lots of seed and other Organic Supplies.
* Do to crops, availability of seed or items, and other constraints, we will do what we can to fulfill any wholesale request.
* Wholesale quantities can be found on www.downrightnatural.com
Gift wrapping and packaging
* We do not currently offer gift wrapping services.
* Seeds: Since all seeds are different, even within the same species, their care, storage, planting, germination, care, maintenance, and harvesting are all different. I try to present all of the important information in my listings and included in the packaging if requested. (If you have any questions regarding a purchase, please contact me, and I will help where I am able.)
* Handcrafted & Wildcrafted items: Due to the unique qualities inherent in the various hand and wildcrafted items I offer, each one has differing care and storage concerns. Please contact me for detailed or specific information regarding your purchase for further instructions or assistance.
Scarification & Stratification of Seeds
* When applicable, all seeds are stored in temperature and humidity controlled environments. This either stratifies or partially stratifies the seeds in question. We do not, and will not, scarify seed prior to shipment. (This is done to reduce the chance of pathogens or microbes inhibiting or destroying the seed during transit.) If you have any questions regarding stratification and scarification of a particular seed, please contact me directly, and I will help you with what to do and how to do it for optimum results.
International Orders (Standardized English [Latin Characters] spelling for ease of delivery)
* If your order is for a destination outside the United States, please provide standardized English spellings for postal addresses. (Cyrillic, East Asian, or other local address languages cannot be processed in a reasonable time by the USPS.)
* I ask you to do this is to avoid delays, refusals, and returns for your items when the address provided is not able to be easily understood by the United States Postal Service; or the characters printed are not readable due to system or computer constraints, both in printing and by processing by the various postal entities.
* I will include your address in English (Standard Latin alphabet) as well as provided by you for easy of handling and delivery by all postal authorities handling the package.
* Please contact me with any questions regarding your postal address or options you desire.
International Payments for Orders
* If you live outside of the United States and are ordering from DownrightNatural and paying by any other method that requires you to mail payment to us. Please ensure the following is followed 100%, or your order may not be fulfilled and your payment returned:
* 1) All orders MUST include your ARTFIRE ORDER NUMBER
* 2) All order must Include your PROPER MAILING ADDRESS
* 3) All Payment MUST be made payable in US DOLLARS (US$)
* 4) Payment MUST be received within 14 days, or your order will be CANCELLED
* 5) International Personal Checks will NOT BE HONORED
* 6) International Business Checks will NOT BE HONORED
* 7) Payment in anything but UNITED STATES DOLLARS will NOT BE HONORED
(I am sorry if this seems blunt, but, the fees to process your payment in anythign but US Dollars is cost prohibitive
to providing you economical seeds and crafts.)
I asked a question three times about some seeds I purchased from them. still waiting for answer. Its been over two weeks. I won't buy from them any more.
Purchased monkey puzzle tree seeds. They arrived on time and in acceptable packaging, but the seeds are way too tiny. This type of tree produces large seeds, usually 1.5 to 2 inches in length. The seeds I received where not even 1/16 of an inch.
Emailed seller twice regarding my surprise and concern and have not received a response.
My recommendation: Find another seller.